I shared the story of how my husband got his job after several rejections from Australian companies because of his lack of local experience. The way he landed the job was totally unexpected and we were in shock after receiving the news. This is the final episode of the year and it serves as a gratitude episode and inspirational episode to lift your spirits if you are job hunting right now or about to embark on this journey!
Working as a civil engineer in Brisbane, Sujitha Kumari is representing migrant women in the male-dominated construction industry here in Australia. December 18 is International Migrants Day and this week’s episode is dedicated to this day! Sujitha is originally from India who moved to Singapore and then finally migrated to Australia. She talked about her migration story, the state of the construction industry in Australia and how she was able to penetrate the industry without any local experience.
In this episode we discussed:
- Sujitha’s migration story
- Skills assessment process through Engineers Australia
- Importance and benefit of Engineer’s Australia membership
- Getting a job offer outside of Australia
- Current state of the construction industry in Australia
- Making the most out of her career break and building connections
- Jobhunting with no local experience
- Being a woman in the construction industry
- Working in Australia vs working in Singapore and India
Almost all new migrants will have to go through the daunting task of job hunting in Australia and it is not easy when every employer you speak to requires you to have local experience. Fret not! I prepared this episode with you in mind since we have been there and know how challenging it is. Here are 10 tips to increase your chances of getting hired. Good luck!